Need Help?

2003 Chevrolet Impala Base 4dr Sedan

2003 Chevrolet Impala
Trim Info:
Front Wheel Drive, 4 Door Sedan, Large
21 mpg city / 32 mpg hwy
Other Trims
Do you own this car?
Estimated Mileage
Enter current mileage for most
accurate info about this vehicle

Track Your Service Records
Get Recall Alerts
Get Updated Value Estimates on Your Car.
back to question list

Ask the Community

Ask Our Auto Mechanics

December 12, 2012, 11:44 am

Sean L

Question: How can I find out if a mechanic did what he is chargin for?

Alright I took my car to my brothers "good buddy", who runs a mechanic shop from his backyard, its an actual business he runs not just a garage shop.. My car was was running poorly, It struggled to start (although it always did), accelerated poorly and the MPG have been getting worse and worse. I brought it in to him for a tune up, he said it was two sensors that where causing the problems n he said he could fix um but didnt say it would b a huge jump in price. I know ignorance can kill ya but I was bringing it to a friend of the family so I was dumb enough to give him the benefit of the doubt.. I dropped off my car mon and recieved a call tues morning saying it was done and I owed him 630 bucks.......Felt like I was getting ripped off of course but not much I could do about it now....Well just a week later my check engine light is back on and my car never ran any better then it did before i brought it to him. Literally nothing is running any better. It still acts up when I try to start it, it guzzles gas and doesnt run any smoother......How can I hold this guy accountable? How do I find someone I can trust to look at it and give me honest answers to bring to the guy who worked on my car? I dont want to pay this guy for stuff he didnt do or for stuff he screwed up. If he did what he said I will pay him, no question but I need someone to speak to...Please help I dont know what else to do. I tried to get a diagnostic done and the guy said it would be 85 bucks....I could buy my own device to read my engine for that much! Auto Zone will do it but they aren't mechanics so do they really know what they are talking about?? Please help.

December 13, 2012, 10:17 pm

Richard W
Expert Mechanic

At this point I would take it to the dealer. Also when they are done with the work ask for the old prtds back.

0/0 users found this helpful.

Ask our panel of certified auto mechanics a question. We pay for their advice so you don't have to

My Auto Score

See the free AutoCheck score

Meet The Experts
Kim Perrin
Kim Perrin is our resident mechanic here at DriverSide. Kim worked as…
Tyler Orr
Tyler Orr is an expert in German and Japanese cars and has been a mechanic …
Elizabeth Kriesten
Elizabeth Kriesten worked as an automotive technician for several years at Dodge…
Tips on Servicing

Car Brakes: How Do You Know When to Change Them?

By Zach Bowman For those who suffer a daily commute through heavy traffic, your vehicle's braking system can bring thousands of pounds of metal, plastic and empty Starbucks cups to a stop hundreds of times before you get to work. It goes without saying that these pieces wear out, but they do so slowly, meaning you may not notice they need attention until ...

Read more…