Need Help?

2000 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Supercab Flareside

2000 Ford F-150
Trim Info:
Rear Wheel Drive, Supercab 6.5' Flareside
15 mpg city / 19 mpg hwy
Other Trims
Do you own this car?
Estimated Mileage
Enter current mileage for most
accurate info about this vehicle

Track Your Service Records
Get Recall Alerts
Get Updated Value Estimates on Your Car.

back to question list

Ask the Community

Ask Our Auto Mechanics

October 23, 2013, 6:06 pm

Jerry S

Question: Is it my transmission or column shifter?

The columns shifter feels loose and does not engage in the right gear on the gear shift indicator in the instrument panel. I am not sure what to fix whether its the trans or column shifter.

October 27, 2013, 6:07 pm

Ron W
Expert Mechanic

If it shifts correctly, I'd suspect the column has an issue, but I would really need to see it to be sure. Fords from that time frame did have weak columns and issues with the shifter were not uncommon.

1/2 users found this helpful.

October 31, 2013, 4:45 pm

Jerry S

Thanks for the reply Ron,

Its shifts good the main thing I notice is the excessive play in the shifter and the misalignment of the gears on the dashboard indicator.

0/0 users found this helpful.

October 31, 2013, 4:49 pm

Jerry S

I am looking for any recommendations of good mechanics to take it to for a possible column shifter issue. I would prefer not to go to the dealer since I had an issue with them previously. Since Ford is so common its hard to find a good shop? I'm in LA so anything close would be much appreciated.

0/0 users found this helpful.

November 3, 2013, 11:28 am

Ron W
Expert Mechanic

I don't have specific information for your area, but try contacting your insurance agent.

They should have a list of shops they use. Those shops must maintain a certain level of quality and competitiveness for them to be used (or recommended) by the insurance company.

Also ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) is a national certification program where the technicians must a pass competency test to be certified. So looking for a shop with ASE certified technicians is another good way to find a qualified shop.

1/2 users found this helpful.

November 4, 2013, 12:32 pm

Jerry S

Thanks again Ron I will definitely look for qualified ASE mechanics through my insurance.

0/0 users found this helpful.

Ask our panel of certified auto mechanics a question. We pay for their advice so you don't have to

My Auto Score

See the free AutoCheck score

Meet The Experts
Kim Perrin
Kim Perrin is our resident mechanic here at DriverSide. Kim worked as…
Tyler Orr
Tyler Orr is an expert in German and Japanese cars and has been a mechanic …
Elizabeth Kriesten
Elizabeth Kriesten worked as an automotive technician for several years at Dodge…
Tips on Servicing

Car Brakes: How Do You Know When to Change Them?

By Zach Bowman For those who suffer a daily commute through heavy traffic, your vehicle's braking system can bring thousands of pounds of metal, plastic and empty Starbucks cups to a stop hundreds of times before you get to work. It goes without saying that these pieces wear out, but they do so slowly, meaning you may not notice they need attention until ...

Read more…